Over the years, #GivingTuesday has grown from a hashtag to a global movement connecting nonprofits with donors around the world and helping them sustain mission-driven growth.
While the day has traditionally been a benchmark for an organization’s end-of-year campaigns, 2020 has added pressure for nonprofits to maximize the giving season.
As COVID-19 became a global health and economic crisis, nonprofits were called to the frontlines. While this surge in demand allowed some organizations to grow their staff, donors and visibility, others were faced with deep financial hardships.
To prepare nonprofit organizations for the start of the year-end giving season, we recommend the following strategies:
- Plan early to identify objectives to guide #GivingTuesday and year-end fundraising campaigns. Get your teams together, whether it be marketing, fundraising or management, and communicate actionable goals ahead of the giving season to set your campaign up for success.
- Be honest – Let your donors know you need their help by outlining how the pandemic has affected your organization and its finances, as well as how you stepped up during this challenging time. Potential donors won’t know what efforts you’ve made or financial losses you’ve taken unless you tell them. Open communication will show them you’re an organization that’s making a difference, one they can trust and one where their dollars will translate into continued good work.
- Evolve with the changing needs and expectations of donors and stakeholders. #GivingTuesday can be an opportunity to pilot new messaging and fundraising techniques. Transparent communication is essential for the sustainability of these relationships.
- Showcase impact – more and more donors are doing research to make sure their money leads to results. Your marketing strategy can be a powerful tool to tell your financial story.
- Leverage technology to connect with potential donors. Though we’re socially distanced, technology can help bridge the gap and support connections—both old and new—around the world.
While every nonprofit is unique in its mission and operations, it’s critical that all organizations maximize #GivingTuesday this year to not only offset COVID-19’s impact but also boost the financial resources needed to fuel their missions for the years ahead. For more information, visit our Year-End Giving Resource Center.
This article originally appeared in BDO USA, LLP’s Nonprofit Standards Blog (Nov. 13, 2020). Copyright © 2020 BDO USA, LLP. All rights reserved. www.bdo.com
Concannon Miller is an independent member of the BDO Alliance USA, a nationwide association of independently owned local and regional accounting, consulting and service firms with similar client service goals. Learn more here.